Welcome to the Spring 2014 edition of Pipelines, your eNewsletter from CPSA.
An important step forward has taken place with the recent publication of of BS 5911-3 2010+A1 2014 “Concrete pipes and ancillary concrete products. Specification for unreinforced and reinforced concrete manholes and soakaways (complementary to BS EN 1917:2002) – incorporating the latest Amendment (AMD 1).
The latest changes include the specification of precast manhole base units, including provisions for benching arrangements along with some other significant changes. CPSA members’ innovative
circular precast manhole base systems are a water industry success story, providing a safer off-site construction solution combined with reduced installation costs, time savings, a consistently high quality build with durable, watertight joints and up to 43% lower embodied carbon compared with traditional manhole construction. The introduction of BS 5911-3 2010+A1 2014 along with the current Sewers for Adoption 7th Edition and the soon to be published revised Sewers for Scotland will complete the suit of industry specifications recognising the attributes of circular precast concrete manhole base systems. For more information, read Technical Bulletin 4 – BS 5911 Part 3:2014 – Important Changes
Have you seen our new
Blog Area? Please take a look and join the discussions. We also have news of the new Type 2 concrete pipe lifter, details of winners at the recent Water Industry Achievement Awards 2014, CPD News and details of the new “20 Reasons to use concrete” booklet.
Hopefully there’s something of interest for everyone!
Stuart Crisp, Director CPSA
New Type 2 concrete pipe lifter
CPSA is pleased to announce the introduction of a new Type 2 concrete pipe lifter, suitable for offloading and installing larger pipes DN1350 to DN2000. The Type 2 lifter is available from, Klepp Mek AS, a manufacturer working in collaboration with CPSA and Basal, a Norwegian supplier of concrete water and drainage products.
Klepp Mek’s contact details can be found on the main
concrete pipe lifter web page
Watch the video
Klepp Mek Type 2 concrete pipe lifter (DN1350 – DN2000)
Water Industry Achievement Awards 2014 – Winners announced
The largest and most prestigious Water Industry Achievement Awards to date took place on Tuesday 1st April where 470 of the water sectors finest came together at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole for an outstanding night of celebration, networking and entertainment.
CPSA is pleased to have supported the event as sponsor for the Most Innovative Use of an Existing Technology category, won by APEM and United Utilities. Congratulations to APEM’s Stuart Clough and United Utilities’ Dave Champness seen collecting the award from CPSA Director Stuart Crisp (left) and host Patrick Monahan (right).
Congratulations to all 2014 winners:
- Carbon Reduction Initiative of the Year: Thames Water
- Community Project of the Year: Northumbrian Water Group
- Customer Satisfaction Initiative of the Year: United Utilities
- Data Project of the Year: Wessex Water
- Engineer of the Year: Anthony Thomas, 4Delivery
- Health & Safety Initiative of the Year: Thames Water
- Most Innovative New Technology of the Year: Severn Trent Water, Echologics and Loughborough University
- Most Innovative Use of an Existing Technology: APEM and United Utilities
- Partnership Initiative of the Year: Southern Water, PN Daly and RPS Water
- People Initiative of the Year: Balfour Beatty
- Sustainable Drainage & Flood Management Initiative of the Year: Morgan Sindall plc, Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water & Ove Arup
- Water Resource Mananagement Initiative of the Year: Balfour Beatty
- Outstanding Innovation 2014: Severn Trent Water,Echologics and Loughborough University
- Outstanding Individual Contribution to the Water Industry: Geraint Williams, Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water
vidual Contribution to the Water Industry: Geraint Williams, Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water